- Kent School District
New Middle School Model Coming in 2023-24
On October 12, 2022, the Kent School District Board of Directors received a recommendation from the Middle School Model Committee comprised of parents, staff, and community members for a sixth, seventh, and eighth grade middle school model. The school board approved this resolution, and the district will move forward with implementation to begin the next school year.
This means students who will be in sixth grade next year (2023-2024) will attend middle school.
Additional information will be available soon to families and staff about the transition to the middle school model. The Middle School Model Committee took great care to study the impact on students, families, and staff and are developing plans for a smooth transition.
In 2022, the Middle School Model Committee was formed to focus on creating a new model that is inclusive for all students and families and to ensure a successful sixth-grade transition academically, socially, and emotionally.
Middle School Model Subcommittees
- Examining Flexible Schedules
- Teaming Models
- Acceleration and Academic Supports
- Athletics and Activities
- Athletic models
- Clubs and Activities
- Transitions and Supports
- Transition activities into and out of middle school
- Social emotional support structures
Middle School Model Committee Findings
It is the most appropriate placement for sixth graders academically.
- State learning standards and assessments are structured K-5, 6-8, 9-12.
- State math and science assessments are administered in eighth grade based on grade-level standards from sixth through eighth grades.
- It allows for three years of lab sciences, better preparing our students for the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- This allows for increased opportunities for academic acceleration and participation in electives.
- It allows access to content specific teachers, better preparing students for future assessments and future content area courses.
It is the most appropriate placement for sixth graders' social emotional development.
- The developmental stage of sixth graders more closely aligns with other students in early adolescence (11 years old – 14 years old).
- Building strong relationships is crucial during this age period. The current structure of two years in middle school impedes the ability to build strong relationships.
- Building a school culture shaped by strong expectations, student leadership development, and strong transitions takes three years.
- Aligns to neighboring districts making transitions between districts easier.
To achieve this goal, the former Sequoia Middle School located at 11000 SE 264th St, Kent, WA 98030 will be renovated to provide space for the new middle school model.
New Middle School Plans
These projects can be funded by the 2018 Capital Levy contingency funds from completed projects.
- All new flooring – (main and auxiliary gym not included)
- Reconditioned bleachers at main gym
- Main gym divider curtain
- Two outdoor courtyard renovations
- STEM and STEAM classroom upgrades
- Library and Family Consumer Science upgrades
- All new furniture
- Cafeteria kitchen equipment upgrade
- Recondition locker rooms
- Lighting survey for possible LED grants and replacement of existing fluorescent fixtures
- New bathroom finishes
- Millwork and cabinet refurbishment
- New upgrade telecommunication-center (bell tower)
- Camera blind spots and refresh
- Access control upgrade
- Site security radio replacement
- 911 DAS emergency antenna
- Sealcoat parking lot and restriping
- Synthetic football field and rubber track
Staffing, Hiring, Naming New School
- Planning principal and planning team.
- This middle school model involves a voluntary shift of existing staff from their current assignment to a new assignment. Human Resources and KEA labor partners will work to ensure the process is clear, fair, and collaborative.
- Data team will work with various student information platforms to create bus routes, school assignments, registration, student projections, and staffing.
- Continued work with the Middle School Model Committee and sub-committees.
- Incoming students work with leaders to name the school, mascot, and colors.
- Sports and activities to start in the fall of 2023.
- Wednesday, October 19, 5:00 p.m. School Board Work Session: Boundary changes and program placement presentation.
- Wednesday, November 9, 6:30 p.m. School Board Meeting: Boundary changes and program placement recommendations provided to the school board for a decision.
- November and December: Communication to impacted families and community.
In 2021, Kent School District opened River Ridge Elementary School located on the West Hill of Kent. To populate the new school, a boundary analysis was conducted, and boundary changes implemented in the fall of 2021. Funded by the 2016 bond measure, the new school helped reduce overcrowding in neighboring elementary schools. Continuous population changes led to the need for additional boundary analysis and review of school boundaries.
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.