- Kent School District
- Information & Updates
May 4, 2020: Grading
Dear Parents and Families:
As we move into phase four of our Continuous Learning Plan, new grading guidelines have been issued by the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI). In alignment with OSPI’s priorities for continuous learning, the grading requirements are designed to promote compassion, communication, and common sense.
We remain committed to partnering with families and our community to support student learning as we adjust to this new virtual learning environment.
KSD grading expectations for all students during COVID closure:
- Student will not fall any further behind based on their performance during COVID closure and grade will carry forward.
- Students will be given an opportunity to engage in continuous learning to maintain or improve their mastery of essential standards.
- Student attendance will not be a factor when determining student grades (RCW 28A.600.030).
- Teachers will provide ongoing feedback for all students.
- Teachers will complete the designated reporting option for all students (and any other reporting requirements for students with IEPs or 504s).
- District will include a designation on all reporting that this is the COVID grade.
- Principals and district will plan for how this information will impact master scheduling activities.
- District will develop a plan to allow students to meet standards.
- District will develop a plan to determine how to gather information about which specific standards students need another opportunity to learn and work with schools to support students getting on track for the 2020-2021 school year.
Please find more information about elementary, middle, and high school-specific grading guidelines. We encourage you to continue monitoring your student’s progress and stay in contact with your school staff.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to provide the best learning experience possible for our students during this health crisis. We will get through this together.
In partnership and service,
Dr. Calvin J. Watts