Return to Headlines

Checking Your Child’s Mental Wellness

Check In On Your Child

During this COVID-19 pandemic, students may be experiencing increased loneliness, sadness, anxiety, and stress. Large emotions are a natural part of life, but it is also important to recognize signs of when to seek help for your child. It is also important to know where to go in supporting your child.

Signs that your child may need additional support:

  • Changes in baseline behavior (sleep, eating, appearance, withdrawing from social experiences)
  • Physical signs (headaches, upset stomach, chest pain, nightmares, bedwetting)
  • Changes in school engagement (school refusal, drop in academic performance, lack of interest in school, lack of interest in extracurricular activities)
  • Increases in frustration, communicating they are overwhelmed.
  • Feelings of hopelessness (communicating hopelessness for the future)
  • Emotional signs (anxious, mood swings, restlessness, clinginess, new or recurring fears, increase in crying/anger/stubbornness/aggression, decreased concentration, regressing toward comfort behaviors from earlier in childhood)
  • Regularly talks, writes, or researches about death
  • Gives important belongings away

What You Can Do:

  • Manage your own stress (stressful emotions are contagious)
  • Take their concern serious
  • Talk to them. Acknowledge their feelings.
  • Develop healthy coping methods (Ask your child about their Feel Good Plan, make one together)
  • Spend Quality time together
  • Don’t be afraid to ask the question: “Are you thinking about hurting yourself?” Research has shown, asking the question will not put the idea into their mind.
  • Get them help. If your child refuses help, let them know you are worried about them and will need to get help for them.

Where to go for help:

If your child is suffering, it is important to communicate with your schools’ counselor. School counselor contact information is available on the KSD website. If your child is suffering from multiple risk factors, reach out to some of the resources in our community.

211 maintains a database of community resources (mental health, substance abuse) and crisis information and services available in King County and a crisis line open 365 days per year 24/7(1-866-427-4747 or 206-461-3222).

More information: