Student Transfer Request Process
2020-2021 School Year
The Kent School District will accept transfer applications for the 2020-2021 school year in two phases unless the transfer is requested due to a recent move, childcare need, or program.
Phase 1: February 3-28
The first student transfer phase is February 3-28, 2020. It is open to:
- Students of Kent School District employees transferring to a school within the employee’s strand.
- Siblings of students who are currently transferred to another school from their boundary school or attending an alternate school due to special services. The siblings must reside within the Kent School District boundaries and attend the same school for the 2020-2021 school year.
Please contact Student Services for an application at (253) 373-7235. Decisions will be sent to families by mail by the end of March 2020.
Phase 2: April 1-30
The second student transfer phase is April 1-30, 2020. It is open to all other transfer requests:
- Residents with student childcare waivers for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Resident student transfers that do or do not have a sibling attending the requested school.
- Non-resident student transfers that do or do not have a sibling attending the requested school.
You can request a transfer for the following reasons:
- The student has completed their first year of high school and wishes to remain at that school until graduation.
- A student who is hoping to enroll in a unique curricular program that is available in another school in the district but not available in the student’s resident school.
- A student whose educational, safety or health condition would be or is being severely impacted at their boundary school and the transfer would improve the identified condition.
- Childcare needs for elementary students (grades K-6).
Applications must be completed online and will be available on this page the morning of April 1, 2020.
Decisions will be sent to families by email by the end of June 2020. If you do not receive an email response by the end of June, please contact Student Services at (253) 373-7235.
2019-2020 School Year
The Kent School District is no longer accepting transfer applications for the 2019-2020 school year unless the transfer is requested due to a recent move, childcare need, or program.
Transportation Not Provided for Transfer Students
Transportation is not available for students approved for transfer to a non-boundary school. Transportation will be the responsibility of the family.
Transfers Not Approved for Athletic Reasons
Transfer requests will not be approved for athletic or co-curricular activity reasons. As per WIAA regulations, students transferring from one high school to another high school within the Kent School District, without a corresponding change in home residence with natural parents or legal guardians, will be deemed ineligible for a one-year period at the varsity level of sports.
Kindergarten Students Must Register at Boundary School First
Kindergarten students should register at their boundary school prior to requesting a transfer.
Non-Residents Must Complete Form from Boundary District
All non-resident transfers must obtain a Choice Transfer/Release of Attendance from their boundary school district.