Reviewing Applications for District 1 Director
The Kent School Board will review applications for the vacant board position representing District 1 during an executive session on January 21, 2021.
The successful candidate will be appointed by the Board to serve until the next regularly scheduled school board election. This is not a paid position.
To meet the requirements for board members, an applicant must:
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a permanent residence within the boundaries of District 1.
- Be a registered voter.
- Not hold another incompatible public office position.
If you have questions, please email KSDBoardVacancy@kent.k12.wa.us.
Application, Selection & Appointment Process
- January 14, 2021: Online application closed at 5:00 p.m.
- January 21, 2021: Applications reviewed during an executive session.
- January 28, 2021: Public interviews and selection during a special meeting.
- February 10, 2021: Candidate sworn in during a regular meeting.
Consistent with Washington State law and the State Board of Education regulations, the selection and appointment for the vacant board position will be made by the incumbent Kent School Board of Directors.
RCW 28A.343.370 is the statutory provision related to the filling of board vacancies.
The relevant provisions require that:
- A majority of the legally established number of board members shall fill such vacancy by appointment;
- Should there exist fewer board members on the Board of directors of a school district than constitutes a majority of the legally established number of board members, the Puget Sound ESD board members by the vote of a majority of its legally established number of board members shall appoint a sufficient number of board members to constitute a legal majority on the Board of directors of such school district; and the remaining vacancies on such Board of directors shall be filled by such Board of directors in accordance with the provisions of this section;
- Should the Board fail to fill the vacancy within ninety (90) days from "the creation of such vacancy," the members of the Puget Sound ESD board shall fill the vacancy by majority vote;
- All appointees to fill vacancies shall meet the legal requirements for school directors;
- The appointee shall serve until the next regular school district election, at which time a successor shall be elected for the unexpired term; and
- The board member who has submitted a resignation may not vote on the selection of his or her replacement.
- Director Leah Bowen was elected from District 1 in November 2019.
- Director Leah Bowen resigned effective December 10, 2020.
- A new director will be appointed by the Board in February 2021.
- The term will expire in November 2021 (the next regularly scheduled school board election).