Dual Language Program Overview
Dual Language Spanish-English Program
The Kent School District (KSD) Dual Language (DL) program develops a high academic and linguistic proficiency in two languages by participating in a rigorous academic program that enhances the development of bilingualism, biculturalism, and biliteracy so that students will graduate ready for college, career, and life in a globally competitive economy.
Students are taught in English and Spanish using a 50/50, two-way dual language model.
- 50 percent of teaching is done in English.
- 50 percent of teaching is done in Spanish.
- 50 percent of the students enrolled in the program speak Spanish as their home language.
- 50 percent of the students enrolled in the program have other language backgrounds.
The Dual Language program is available at three elementary schools:
- Kent Elementary School (grades 1-4, kindergarten at Kent Valley Early Learning Center)
- Neely-O’Brien Elementary School (grades 1-4, kindergarten at Kent Valley Early Learning Center)
- Scenic Hill Elementary School (grades K-6)
Incoming kindergarten students may enter the lottery to enroll in the Dual Language program. The annual kindergarten Dual Language lottery is conducted by the KSD Student & Family Support Services team each spring.
2019-2020 School Year
Applications are available at the KSD Administration Center, Dual Language school offices, or online for the 2019-2020 school year and will be accepted from April 1-30, 2019.
Return applications in person by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30, to any of the following offices:
- Kent Elementary School
- Kent School District Administration Center Student & Family Support Office
- Kent Valley Early Learning Center
- Neely-O'Brien Elementary School
- Scenic Hill Elementary School
Students who were in enrolled in the Dual Language program in kindergarten will be given priority to continue in grades 1-6.
If space becomes available from the time kindergarten begins through the first semester of first grade, Kent School District will consider filling the Dual Language program with students from the waitlist.
If space becomes available from the second semester of first grade through sixth grade, the school principal will determine admission in the Dual Language program.
The Dual Language Program is available at Mill Creek Middle School.
Students who wish to continue building their bilingualism, biliteracy, and biculturalism may enroll in middle school courses in Spanish language arts and in one or more content areas such as math, social studies, science, or others as available.
Middle school Dual Language courses are open to:
- Students currently enrolled in the KSD Dual Language Program for sixth grade at Scenic Hill and Carriage Crest elementary schools.
- Students who will attend or transfer to Mill Creek and are fluent and literate in Spanish at the intermediate-mid level or higher. Students will be evaluated using the Spanish STAMP 4Se grade six language proficiency assessment.
- Students transferring from Spanish/English dual language programs in other districts.
2019-2020 School Year
Mill Creek is now accepting registrations for grade seven Dual Language Spanish language arts and math courses for the 2019-20 school year.
The Dual Language program is planned to begin at Kent-Meridian High School in August 2021.
Remaining in the Program
If a Dual Language student moves out of the Kent School District during grades kindergarten through twelve, the parents must complete and submit an inter-district transfer application. Subject to the terms of the transfer, the child will be allowed to continue in the program.