English Language Learners (ELL)
The Kent School District is dedicated to work in partnership with schools and the community to meet the needs of English Language Learners (ELL) through quality services, effective and efficient use of resources, and innovative leadership opportunities.
Many students come to Kent with a first language that is other than English. In order to help these students reach their full potential, the Kent School District offers ELL services in all schools. Certificated teachers provide the instruction and ELL staff assist in delivering support in the general education classroom and in small group settings.
Access to the ELL support is determined by a students score on the Washington English Language Proficiency Assessment (WELPA). ELL support includes teachers that are qualified to support ELL students and provide specialized instruction.The Kent School District goals for providing services to ELL students are:
- Provide appropriate, consistent educational services to all ELL students;
- Use up-to-date information technology in the district system to track and electronically transfer ELL student data between schools
- Increase the number of teachers and staff trained to fully serve ELL students;
- Encourage parents to become involved in meaningful school planning to address the educational disruptions and other challenges that result from repeated moves;
- Provide parent training that will support learning and engagement;
- Increase the graduation rate of ELL students.