Planning is Underway for 2020-2021
Kent School District is engaging high school students, families, staff, and our community to develop a student-centered and equitable reopening plan for the 2020-21 school year.
- Mitigates and minimizes the spread of Coronavirus.
- Keeps students and staff healthy and safe.
- Is in alignment with our strategic goals and core values.
- Is developed using our racial equity lens.
- Enables students and staff to focus on student learning.
- Supports social-emotional well-being and interaction for students and adults.
- Provides families timely information through this transition and a plan for ongoing two-way, meaningful communication throughout the 2020-2021 school year
- Maintenance and custodial staff from AFT
- Coaches/extra-curricular employees
- Office professionals from KAEOP
- Paraeducators from KAP
- Teachers/certificated staff from KEA
- Food Service staff from KSFSA
- Principals from KPA
- Non-represented employees
- Bus drivers
- Parents from the Kent Area Council Parent Teacher Student Association
- Current high school students
- KSD Educators of Color Cohort members
- Equity Council members
BTSTF volunteers will participate in smaller workgroups to create checklists, best practices, resources, and consider specific elements of the plan including student learning, health and safety, social-emotional wellness, school operations, communications, meals, and transportation.
- June 24 - July 1: The BTSTF creates a plan for all students physically returning to school buildings.
- July 1-8: The BTSTF creates a plan for a hybrid model where all students spend some time in school buildings and engage in remote, online instruction.
- July 8-15: The BTSTF creates a plan for a continuous learning 2.0 model where all students engage in remote, online instruction.
- July 15-17: The BTSTF adjusts plans following new guidance from local, state, or federal authorities and compares to other groups.
- July 20: Plans are presented to the entire workgroup and KSD leadership.
- July 21-31: All three plans are combined and refined into one final KSD plan. Team KSD develops professional learning courses in alignment with the plan and finalizes communications.
- August 3: The final plan is shared with the Kent School Board for review.
- By August 13: Kent School Board adopts the plan in a public board meeting.
We will continue to send frequent updates with information for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Emails: Make sure your email address is current and listed in Skyward Family Access.
- Text messages: Opt-in to receive text messages to your cell phone using Skyward Family Access.
- Website: Bookmark the Kent School District Closure Updates for quick access.
- Social media: Follow KentSchools415 on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Resources & More Information
- Athletics: KSD athletics and activities will resume in phases.
- Childcare: Childcare is available for school-aged children of first responders and healthcare workers.
- Community Resources: Various community food, clothing, and shelter resources are available to KSD families.
- Enrollment: Families who are new to the Kent School District can enroll students for the 2020-2021 school year online.
- Facility Use: KSD facilities will open to the public in phases.
- Free Summer Meals: Meals are available to all children 0-18 years old every Monday from June 29 through August 17 at select locations across Kent School District. There is no service on June 22.
- Graduation: We are celebrating the class of 2020 in school ceremonies this July.
- Home Internet Access: We are distributing hotspots throughout the summer.
- Kindergarten Registration: Families can register kindergarten students online.
- Laptop Support: Students and staff who will not return to KSD for 2020-2021 must return their laptops. Everyone else is keeping theirs throughout the summer.
- Student Calendar: Thursday, August 27 is the first day of school.