Dual Language Program Overview
Dual Language Spanish-English Program
The Kent School District (KSD) Dual Language (DL) program develops a high academic and linguistic proficiency in two languages by participating in a rigorous academic program that enhances the development of bilingualism, biculturalism, and biliteracy so that students will graduate ready for college, career, and life in a globally competitive economy.
Students are taught in English and Spanish using a 50/50, two-way dual language model.
- 50 percent of teaching is done in English.
- 50 percent of teaching is done in Spanish.
- 50 percent of the students enrolled in the program speak Spanish as their home language.
- 50 percent of the students enrolled in the program have other language backgrounds.
The Dual Language program is available at three elementary schools:
- Kent Elementary School (grades K-6)
- Neely-O’Brien Elementary School (grades K-6)
- Scenic Hill Elementary School (grades K-6)
Incoming kindergarten students may enter the lottery to enroll in the Dual Language program. The annual kindergarten Dual Language lottery is conducted by the KSD Student & Family Support Services team each spring.
Students who were in enrolled in the Dual Language program in kindergarten will be given priority to continue in grades 1-6.
If space becomes available from the time kindergarten begins through the first semester of first grade, Kent School District will consider filling the Dual Language program with students from the waitlist.
If space becomes available from the second semester of first grade through sixth grade, the school principal will determine admission in the Dual Language program.
The Dual Language Program is available at Mill Creek Middle School.
Students who wish to continue building their bilingualism, biliteracy, and biculturalism may enroll in middle school courses in Spanish in one or more content areas such as math, social studies, language arts, science, or others as available.
Middle school Dual Language courses are open to:
- Students currently enrolled in the KSD Dual Language Program for sixth grade at Scenic Hill, Kent Elementary, Neely-O’Brien, and Carriage Crest elementary schools.
- Students who will attend or would like to transfer to Mill Creek and are fluent and literate in Spanish at the intermediate-mid level or higher. Students will be evaluated using the Spanish STAMP 4Se grade six language proficiency assessment.
- Students transferring from Spanish/English dual language programs in other districts.
The Dual Language program began at Kent-Meridian High School in August 2021.
Remaining in the Program
Once accepted into the Dual Language program in kindergarten, families are making a K-12 commitment to support their child in achieving the overall program goal of becoming bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural/multicultural. Students will remain in Dual Language throughout their K-12 education, which will prepare them for post-secondary, career, and their futures in either or both languages.
If a Dual Language student moves out of the Kent School District during grades kindergarten through twelve, the parents must complete and submit an inter-district transfer application. Subject to the terms of the transfer, the child will be allowed to continue in the program.
Dual Language Program
12033 SE 256th Street #D-200
Kent, WA 98030
Director | Educación Multilingüe/ Multilingual Education
The Nina "Will" Williams Dual Language Program Video