MissionAs trustees for the community's schools, the Board is responsible and accountable for vision, structure, advocacy, and accountability. Specifically, the Board's functions lie in the following areas:
- Adopting policy.
- Planning and assessing short and long-term goals.
- Authoring and reviewing the District's Strategic Plan.
- Acting as a liaison between the community and the District.
- Hiring and evaluating the superintendent.
- Advocating for students, the District, and public education.
- Approving a budget that reflects the priorities of the District and community through responsible use of monies.
- Advocating for appropriate state and national educational salaries and laws.
Awards and AccoladesWashington State School Directors’ Association
2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 Board of Distinction Award
The Washington State School Directors’ Association (WSSDA) presents this award to exceptional school boards that demonstrate an understanding of their leadership role and follows through on their responsibilities while showing concern for the educational excellence and equity for all students.
Duties of Individual Board MembersThe authority of individual board members is limited to participating in actions taken by the Board as a whole when legally in session. Board members do not assume responsibilities of administrators or other employees. The Board or employee is not bound in any way by any action taken or statement made by any individual board member except when such statement or action is pursuant to specific instruction and official action taken by the Board.
Protocol GuidelinesThe School Board emphasizes policy making, planning, and advocacy for the benefit of children. To support a partnership in responsibility and teamwork, the Board and the administration agree to protocol guidelines that define conduct and working relationships that specify the manner in which board meetings will be conducted.
These guidelines stress consideration of research, best practice, and public input in its decision making. Click here to view Complete Board of Director Protocol Guidelines.