Graduation Ceremony Information
Graduation is on July 7
We are excited to announce that Kent-Meridian faculty and staff will honor and celebrate our graduates on July 7, 2020 on our campus from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Since our graduation ceremony plans were altered significantly this year, we want to inject a bit of fun and nostalgia into our plan. The journey to get here for students has been a long and winding road so it should not be surprising that our graduation event will be the same. Students will have an opportunity to walk on a predetermined path through the main campus one final time, stop at the lion statue for a fun photo, receive a diploma cover, cross the stage and take an official graduation photo with your family watching.
While we are including some new aspects to our graduation celebration, many traditional elements of a graduation ceremony will remain. Students will wear their cap and gown, receive a diploma cover, cross a stage, move the tassel, and have a photo taken. Our videographer will record all students crossing the stage and create a video we can share with our entire community. Since families will be limited in the number attending, we will make this link available for students and families with loved ones and friends who were not able to attend.
Student Drop-Off & Vehicle Information
- All vehicles enter campus at SE 253rd PL (by Ivar’s Restaurant) from 104th Ave SE.
- Families will drop off graduating students at the gym entrance.
- Each vehicle will have a number card placed under their wind shield wiper. Vehicles will proceed to the front of the school.
- Staff will direct up to four family members to the stage viewing area to watch your child graduate.
- Exit via French Field parking lot for Canyon Dr or the Front parking lot for SE 256th St.
Graduation Ceremony Guidelines & Important Information
- The Graduation Ceremony will take place on the Kent-Meridian High School campus using our parking lots, main building outside corridors, and green space in front of the school. We will hold our event on Tuesday, July 7 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Our plan includes following the guidelines of Washington State and King County public health agencies. All students will be required to wear a mask from the student check-in area to the stage. Students may remove their mask briefly for photo opportunities by the Lion statue and while on stage receiving their diploma.
- Graduates will be the only individuals allowed to walk through campus on their way to the stage. Essential school security and staff members will be posted along the walking route to ensure and enforce social distancing requirements. We must observe social distancing at all times.
- To comply with social distancing requirements, we must spread out all our graduates throughout the day. Graduates must sign up for a graduation time slot using our online Graduation Sign-Up Form. If the time you want is full, then go on to the next set of available times.
- When you first arrive at the booking site, you will see the current month. Use the arrow to move to the month of July, select July 7, and choose from the available appointment times. The appointment time you select will be the time you will arrive at KM.
- Please use the graduate’s legal first and last name when booking the appointment.
- You will receive an email confirmation of your appointment time.
- All graduates and families need to arrive on time (not early, not late) and together (in one vehicle) for your assigned check-in time slot. Enter campus at SE 253rd PL (by Ivar’s Restaurant) and check-in by the gym. Families must remain in their vehicle and drive around to the front of the school to watch students cross the stage.
- We will have a family viewing area for designated family members to watch their student cross the stage. Only four family members will be allowed to exit the vehicle and view the graduate cross the stage. Other family members in the vehicle will be able to watch from the car.
- We understand some of our students have parents who are divorced or separated and it is not feasible to travel in one vehicle. Our car parade route and parking is very limited and we cannot accommodate multiple vehicles for every student. We will attempt to honor a request for two vehicles for students with divorced or separated families, but we cannot guarantee that we have space. Students and families need to make their request to Mary.Anderson@kent.k12.wa.us by June 30, 2020.
- Students and families should consider safety in determining how many occupants can fit in a vehicle and follow applicable driving laws. No oversized vehicles, recreational vehicles, buses or limos will be allowed.
- Washington State and King County Public Health published guidelines for graduation ceremonies that include the following: high risk populations should stay home; people who have COVID-19 or who are in close contact with someone who has COVID-19, must remain at home in isolation or quarantine; people who feel sick must stay home; each vehicle may contain only members from a single household who are not sick (no commingling of families or friends within a vehicle).
- If you still need a cap and gown, contact Jostens.
- The KM Registrar will mail home official diplomas and final transcripts in mid-July. Please verify your correct mailing address is listed in Skyward. If you need to make a correction, please contact Patti.Smith@kent.k12.wa.us.
- Students and families may pay fines and fees online.
Kent-Meridian High School
Tuesday, July 7, 2020
Time: Graduates select their time online
Location: Kent-Meridian High School
Address: 10020 SE 256th Street, Kent
Video: To be determined