Student Transfer Information for the 2018-2019 school year
The 2018-19 transfer window is now closed.
The Kent School District is no longer accepting transfer applications for the 2018-19 school year. If you applied for a transfer during the open transfer window, you will be notified of a decision during the week of June 11th-15th. Waitlist applications will not be accepted and there will be no waitlists for requests that are not approved.
Questions? Please contact Student Services at 253-373-7235 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The following student transfer applications are accepted year-round:
Child-care:For daily child-care purposes, students in kindergarten through sixth grade may be approved to attend a school other than the school serving their boundary. The single head of household or both heads of household, must be employed or attending school full time, which necessitates the requested child-care service be located outside the child's boundary service area. Child-care applications are accepted year round. Please contact Student and Family Support Services for an application. 253-373-7235Change of Address:Accepted after the first day of school, students are allowed to stay in their current school for the duration of the school year based on space availability and good attendance. To stay the next year, parents must apply during the annual open transfer window.
The following programs do not require a student transfer to attend:
Dual Language – Located at Scenic Hill, Neely-O’Brien, Kent Elementary and Carriage Crest (grades 1-6)
- Lottery for incoming kindergarten students. Applications accepted through April 30, 2018. Priority given to students whose neighborhood schools are listed above and to students who qualify as English Learners. Applications received by April 30 will be scheduled to be tested for EL services during May. We hope to notify parents by the start of June if they are accepted.
- Grades other than Kindergarten, selection process is made by that school’s principal for students enrolled in their neighborhood school. Students in schools other than their neighborhood schools, selection is done in consultation with Student and Family Support Services.
- If selected for the Dual Language program there is no need to submit a transfer request.
Tech Academy (KM and Mill Creek)
- Incoming Freshman deadline for early entry is February 28. Deadline for space availability is June 2nd. Apply through KM website. If accepted in this program no need for a transfer application.
- Students currently enrolled as 8th graders at Mill Creek’s Tech Academy will be automatically enrolled in KM Tech Academy and do not need to apply.
- Mill Creek Tech Academy process still being determined – check Mill Creek website for updates.
International Baccalaureate (KM)
- Apply directly to KM. Process is listed on the KM webpage. Deadline for applying is March 1, 2018.
- If accepted into this process they do not need to go through the transfer process unless they are an out of district student.
Kent Mountain View Academy (Grades 3-12)
- Choice Program
- Open Window March 1 – April 30 for the 18-19 School Year
- KMVA website has the application process - Families will be notified by May 29.
- There is limited transportation for KMVA students in the Choice program.
- Transition Program
- Current KSD students in high school in need of credit retrieval.
- Students accepted year round.
- Families wishing to apply should call 253-373-7488 to apply.
- There is no transportation provided for students in the Transition Program
- Link Program
- Students in Grades 7-12 on the autism spectrum.
- Contact your IEP Case Manager at your school for information about placement in this program.
Kent Phoenix Academy (Grades 9-12) – For all three programs students must complete an application and then interview with school staff to determine if the program is a good fit for the student. Click one of the programs listed here to access our website and detailed program information.
- Kent Performance Learning Center
- Recovery, Opportunity, Achievement, Desire and Success (ROADS) program
- Kent Virtual High School
iGrad – iGrad is a state approved Individualized Graduation and Degree Program. This dropout re-engagement (Open Door ) program provides education and comprehensive wraparound support services to older youth, ages 16-21. (must have turned 16 by September 1st of the school year enrolled) Enrollment in iGrad is ongoing throughout the school year, including summer.
Required steps to enroll:
Do you need assistance?Contact Kathy Weyand in the Student and Family Support Services department at 253-373-7235.**Please note: if your student is approved for a transfer to a non-boundary school, transportation will be the responsibility of the family. **
- Attend an information session to learn more about the different program options at iGrad. Upcoming information session dates can be found on the iGrad website.
- Complete & return iGrad enrollment packet. Decision to enroll will be based on state required guidelines with consideration given to individual service delivery needs.
Transferring out of the Kent School District
Choice Transfer RequestFor those students who live within the Kent School District boundaries and wish to attend school in another district. Any student living in the Kent School District boundaries may attend a different public school district if space is available in the requested district/school. A choice transfer request form must be completed annually.Please submit the completed form to Kent School District, Student and Family Support Services,12033 SE 256th St. Suite A-300 Kent, WA 98030, fax to 253-373-7127 or email to email@example.comFor additional information on transfers between districts, please contact Student and Family Support Services at 253-373-7235.
A request for change in student assignment will not be approved for athletic or co-curricular activity reasons. (As per WIAA regulations, students transferring from one high school to another high school within the Kent School District, without a corresponding change in home residence with natural parents or legal guardians, will be deemed ineligible for a one year period at the varsity level of sports.)