2020-2021 Athletics Update
The Kent School District has postponed the start of all high school and middle school athletics to January 2021. Until then, we are working with athletic directors, coaches, and club advisors to design extra-curricular activities that can be done remotely.
For sports to occur, we must meet the guidelines set by the Washington State Department of Health and the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) return to play guidelines.
Specifically, our community needs to have less than 25 cases per 100,000 people over a 14-day period. Once we accomplish this goal, we can begin some athletics and activities while still practicing social distancing guidelines specific to each sport or activity.
Middle School Sports
All four middle school seasons will be offered starting in January and will follow the normal order of middle school seasons as in years past. The seasons will be shortened in accordance with the guidelines from the WIAA.
High School Sports
- Winter season will begin in January.
- Traditional fall season sports will begin in March.
- Spring sports will begin in May.
More information regarding the new seasons and updated rules regarding participation in high school athletics can be found on the WIAA website.
Information & Season Start Dates Subject to Change
Please keep in mind that the situation surrounding COVID-19 continues to evolve with each passing day. We will continue to follow guidance from King County Health Department and work to get our students participating in the activities they enjoy.
We will regularly update our staff, families, and community through the website and our school athletic directors. We encourage you to keep checking back for the latest information.
Student Eligibility Requirements
To clarify questions regarding athletic participation in Kent Schools, students enrolled in the KSD will be able to participate in extracurricular activities at the school which they were enrolled for the 2020-2021 school year. All WIAA eligibility requirements for education-based athletics and activities will be strictly adhered to.
Register athletes online using FamilyID. This secure platform provides families with an easy, user-friendly way to register students for athletic programs.
- Convenient: Create one profile to register multiple children for multiple sports and seasons.
- Mobile friendly: Register on any mobile device.
- Accessible for all: Visit your school’s office to complete the online registration if you do not have access to a computer or mobile device. If you do not have an email address, you will need to use your student’s KSD email address to create an account.
Parent & Student Athletic Handbook
View the Kent School District (KSD) Parent and Student Athletic Handbook and Middle School Athletic Handbook to learn what it takes to be a successful athletic participant through code of conduct, eligibility standards, and more.
Participation History & Physical Examinations
Complete a current Participation History and Physical Examination form before participating in athletics. Physicals are valid for 24 months from the date of examination and may not expire during the season in which the student is participating.
- Middle School: A current physical examination must be completed prior to participation in grades 7-8 and must be dated after June 1 of the sixth-grade year.
- High School: A current physical examination must be completed prior to participation in grades 9-12 and must be dated after June 1 of the eighth-grade year.
- Concussions: View the concussion in youth sports fact sheet to learn about symptoms, common treatment options, and preventative measures athletes can take while participating in sports.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest: View the sudden cardiac arrest information sheet to learn about causes, common treatment options, and preventative measures athletes can take while participating in sports.
Student Accident Insurance
We offer student accident insurance through Myers-Stevens & Toohey & Co., Inc. with services ranging from student health and accident plans to prescription drug discounts and even interscholastic tackle football coverage.
For more information about insurance offerings, or to enroll, visit the Myers-Stevens & Toohey & Co., Inc. website or call 1-800-827-4695.
If you are already enrolled in the student accident insurance program, you may submit a claim using the Student Insurance Claim form.