Kindergarten Registration Process
Register for 2020-2021 After January 21, 2020
Kindergarten registration for the 2020-2021 school year begins on January 21, 2020. Registration packets are available at every elementary school in the Kent School District.
Step 1: Is Your Child Old Enough?
Children must be five years old by August 31 to be eligible to enroll in kindergarten.
If your child will be five years old between September 1 and October 31, the Kent School District offers a fee-based assessment to determine if children demonstrate the advanced pre-academic, social and emotional readiness necessary for kindergarten success.
The Kent School District is no longer accepting 2019-2020 Kindergarten Early Learning Entry applications.
Step 2: Find Your School
Families must register new students at their boundary school. The KSD school boundaries map may not be accurate for all addresses.
Please confirm your boundary school by contacting the school or KSD Transportation team at (253) 373-7442.
Transfer Out of Boundary School After Enrolling
If you would like to request a transfer for the 2020-2021 school year to another school, please first enroll in your boundary school and then follow the student transfer process.
Step 3: Collect Required Documents
Student Identification and Proof of Age
- Birth certificate or
- Passport or
- State identification (ID) card or
- Another form of legal identification which includes the student’s name and birthdate
- Driver’s license or
- State identification (ID) card or
- Another form of legal identification which includes the parent’s name and photo
Proof of Address
- Lease or purchase agreement or
- Utility bill (cable, electricity, water, or home telephone) not more than one month old
Medically Verified Immunization Records
- A Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) printed from Washington MyIR (once you create an account on MyIR, you will be able to access the certificate at any time) or
- A physical copy of the CIS form with a healthcare provider signature or
- A physical copy of the CIS form with accompanying medical immunization records from a healthcare provider verified and signed by school staff or
- A CIS printed from the Washington State Immunization Information System by the school nurse or other school staff
The district maintains the right to ask for additional documents if there is a concern about any document used to establish an address. See Policy and Procedure 3110 and 3110P for more information.
Step 4: Complete Enrollment Forms
Forms are available online or can be picked up at your school or the Kent School District Administration Center.
- Student Information and Enrollment Form
- 2020-2021 Washington State Department of Health Certificate of Immunization Status
- Health History Form
- Housing Survey
- Race and Ethnicity Form
- Home Language Survey
- Military Service Survey
- Parent Questionnaire
- Emergency Dismissal Plan
- Eligibility Certification for Indian Education Program (as applicable)
- King County Library System Student Account Information
- Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals
- Student Handbook Acknowledgment
Step 5: Complete Registration at Your School
Once you have completed steps 1-3 as completely as possible, please return documentation and finish the enrollment process at your school* identified in step one.
*Elementary schools do not accept new student enrollment during the summer break. The Student and Family Support Services team is available to accept packets during select days and hours. This information will be provided on this page when needed.
The Office of the Superintendent of Public Education has developed a guide to help parents understand their child’s enrollment options in the state of Washington.