Coach Middle & High School Athletes
Thank you for your interest in volunteering to coach Kent School District (KSD) middle and high school athletes.
Step 1: Complete an Online Application
If you are not a current certificated, classified, or substitute employee in the Kent School District, you must complete and be approved through the Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) online application process before being allowed to coach. Approval is good for one year. Returning volunteer coaches will need to complete this process every year.
Current KSD employees may skip to step 2.
You will need to upload an image or PDF of your valid email address and state driver’s license, Washington State photo identification card, or U.S. passport.
This file must be smaller than 3MB. To learn how to resize a photo or resolve any other technical issues, please refer to frequently asked questions before calling the school’s office.
Provide a copy of your background approval email to the building athletic director with your volunteer coaching application.
If you do not receive an email within 24 hours of completing the VIPS online application, check your spam/junk folders before calling the school’s office.
Step 2: Complete CPR and First Aid Training
The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) requires all coaches to have both current CPR and First Aid Certifications.
Step 3: Complete the Volunteer Coaching Application
Whether you are a current KSD employee or not, all applicants must complete a Volunteer Coaching Application (PDF).
- Provide a valid first aid and CPR card. A copy of your card will be kept on file with the school.
- Provide a copy of your VIPS background approval email. This will be kept on file with the school and remain valid for one year.
- Return the application and all required materials to the head coach of the sport you are applying to volunteer with or the building athletic director.
Step 4: Further Steps
Once approved as a volunteer coach, the school athletic director will provide guidance for fulfilling the following requirements.
- All volunteer coaches are required to complete concussion recognition & management with return to play protocols training and sudden cardiac arrest awareness training as required by Washington State Law. This training must be done every 3 years.
- All volunteer coaches must complete the WIAA general rules clinic and the WIAA approved rule clinic for the sport they are coaching.