Free & Reduced-Price Meals
Since the beginning of the pandemic, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has allowed meals to be provided to students at no cost to families. The waivers that allowed for this practice expired on June 30, 2022. As a result, the district will be charging fees again for meals starting in the 2023-24 school year.
Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)
Kent School district has 37 schools eligible to participate in CEP this year. Parents and guardians of students in CEP schools do not have to fill out the usual free and reduced lunch application, but are asked to complete an income survey (download printable versions below) in order to ensure their child's school qualifies for federal and state funding that is determined by parent income levels. Meals, (not a la cart items) will be served to all students in CEP schools for free regardless of free and reduced status.
Family Income Survey Form
- Digital Family Income Survey Form
- Family Income Survey English (Word)
- Family Income Survey Spanish (Word)
- Canyon Ridge Middle
- Carriage Crest Elementary
- Cedar Heights Middle
- Cedar Valley Elementary
- Covington Elementary
- Crestwood Elementary
- East Hill Elementary
- Fairwood Elementary
- George T. Daniel Elementary
- Glenridge Elementary
- Grass Lake Elementary
- Horizon Elementary
- Jenkins Creek Elementary
- Kent Elementary
- Kent Laboratory Academy
- Kentlake High School
- Kent-Meridian High School
- Lake Youngs Elementary
- Martin Sortun Elementary
- Mattson Middle
- Meadow Ridge Elementary
- Meeker Middle
- Meridian Elementary
- Meridian Middle
- Mill Creek Middle
- Millennium Elementary
- Neeley-O’brien Elementary
- Northwood Middle
- Panther Lake Elementary
- Park Orchard Elementary
- Pine Tree Elementary
- Ridgewood Elementary
- River Ridge Elementary
- Sawyer Woods Elementary
- Scenic Hill Elementary
- Springbrook Elementary
- Sunrise Elementary
**Emerald Park and Soos Creek will both qualify to offer meals at no cost under House Bill (HB) 1238. HB 1238 requires LEAs to offer meals at no cost to students enrolled at elementary schools where 40% or more students are eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Families at these schools are asked to complete the Free and Reduced meal application online application through MealAppNow, Or print a paper application:
Apply for Meal Benefits Each School Year
We participate in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast programs sponsored by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Breakfast and lunch are available at no cost for all students that qualify for free or reduced priced meals.
We are encouraging families to complete an online application. By completing a free and reduced meal application, students and families may be eligible for additional benefits and schools can receive funding.
- Families may receive waived or decreased fees to participate in other school programs.
- Schools receive funding based on the number of free and reduced qualified applicants. By completing a free and reduced meal application, you will be helping your school obtain funding.
The online application through MealAppNow only takes a few minutes and is the fastest, easiest way to get approved.
Print a paper application:
- 2023-2024 Household Application for Free and Reduced-Priced Meals (.docx)
- 2023-2024 Solicitud Familiar para Precios de Comidas Gratuito y Reducido (.docx)
If you would like to have a paper application mailed to you, please contact KSD Nutrition Services.
- Call (253) 373-7275
- Email NutritionServicesOffice@kent.k12.wa.us
Return a completed paper application using the drop-box located at the main entrance of the Kent School District Administration Center (12033 SE 256th Street, Kent) or mail to:
Kent School District
Attention: Nutrition Services
12033 SE 256th Street, Building E
Kent, WA 98030
Please allow 10 business days for paper application processing once it has been received.
Families May Receive Waived or Decreased Fees to Participate in Other School Programs
Kent School District (KSD) is committed to ensuring participation in extracurricular activities is available to all students regardless of family income. Be sure to complete an online free and reduced-price meal application to determine if you are eligible for free and reduced rates for meals, extracurricular participation fees, and entry fees.
A Family Activity Card will be mailed to families that qualify for free and reduced-price meals. The Family Activity Card allows the parents/guardians and their elementary age and younger children to enter KSD sponsored events for free or at a reduced rate.
Student Fees Eligible for Waiver
Eligible students with a completed fee waiver on file do not have to pay fees for:
- Associated Student Body (ASB) card designation
- Entrance fees for home games or ASB events
- ASB club dues or membership fees
- Entrance fees for ASB field trips
- Registration or transportation fees for ASB travel
- Required uniforms for ASB sports or clubs (may be required to return after use or be subject to fine)
- Reduced prices for families entering school extracurricular activities.
Find Out if You Qualify
Complete an application if any of the following apply:
- Your total household income is the same or less than the amount for your household size in the Household Income Guidelines table below.
- Your household receives Basic Food, takes part in the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- You are applying for a foster child that is under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court.
- You received free and reduced-price meals during the last school year.
Household Income Guidelines