COVID-19 School Closures During the 2023-24 School Year
Closure of a classroom after consultation with Public Health will be considered when:
- Five or more students or staff in the same room/area test positive for COVID-19.
- The cases have symptoms that start within seven days of each other.
- The cases are not associated with one another in another setting (household, club, etc.).
A COVID-19 outbreak in a school is considered when the following have been met:
- There are five or more COVID-19 cases among students or staff from the same room/area.
- The cases have a symptom onset or positive test result within a seven-day period of each other.
- The cases are epidemiologically linked.
- The cases do not share a household.
- The cases are not identified as close contacts of each other in another setting during the investigation.
What happens when a classroom or school is closed?
- Learn more on our Return Safely page.
Last Modified on February 8, 2024