Students with Disabilities & Discipline
Decisions made regarding corrective action or sanctions upon students in the abovementioned groups will be made following special education programming and legal procedures.
Discipline procedures for students with disabilities are consistent with the Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). These procedures apply when:
- The student has an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or a 504 Plan.
- The student has been referred to special education (the referral is in process but eligibility has not yet been determined).
- The school has knowledge that the student has a disability before the behavior that precipitated the disciplinary action occurred.
Knowledge of the disability is defined as:
- Parent has expressed a concern in writing that the student is in need of special education and related services;
- The student’s behavior or performance demonstrates a need for services;
- The parent has requested an evaluation of the student;
- The teacher, other school staff or an outside agency has expressed concern about the performance or behavior of the student to the director of special education or other school personnel.
For more specific details regarding discipline and student with disabilities, please reference Kent School District Board Policy 2162.
Last Modified on July 27, 2021