Community Engagement Board
Supporting Elementary Students Struggling with Attendance
The Community Engagement Board meets monthly to support elementary students struggling with attendance. The board consists of volunteers from local community-based organizations, , school and district administration, and King County Superior Courts.
The purpose of the community engagement board is to uncover barriers for student attendance and provide the family with supports to help navigate the barriers.
The following process will be used by the engagement board:
- Review attendance with the family.
- Listen to the parents/guardians and the student (if present) about the barriers surrounding attendance.
- Explore resources to support the family.
- Sign agreements for what the student, parents, and district will do to support increased attendance.
- The engagement board will continue to monitor the attendance of the student. If improvement is not made, the student may return to the engagement board or a truancy petition may be filed.