Dyslexia Advisory Group
Now Seeking Volunteers
The Kent School District (KSD) Teaching and Learning Community is requesting volunteers to join the Kent School District Dyslexia Advisory Group.
Beginning in 2021-2022, each school district is responsible for screening students in K-2. This data will be applied to the district’s Multi-Tiered Systems of Support to provide appropriate academic interventions to support each student’s literacy development. We are following updates from the state and planning to prepare for full implementation.
We are in the early stages of full-scale implementation planning (in addition to the current Tier 1 intervention supports provided to students).
Dyslexia Advisory Group Outcomes for the 2019-2020 School Year
- Develop outcomes and timeline
- Finalize implementation plan by Winter 2020
- Review and make recommendations for screening assessment, training providers, and supplemental resources
- Discuss and identify options for field test of screening, training, and curriculum
- Develop a sustainable budget for training and assessment for 2020 -2021 school year and beyond
- Develop a communications plan for the 2020-2021 school year
Apply by November 4, 2019
We are seeking 20-30 volunteers to dedicate approximately three hours per month, for six months to define the KSD instructional support for screening for dyslexia and providing instructional supports for students. We are looking for volunteers from different areas of our community.
- Assessment coordinators
- Central administration staff
- Colleges and universities
- External service agencies
If you are interested in volunteering to join the KSD Dyslexia Advisory Group, please complete the survey by November 4 expressing your commitment to leading this work.
- October - December:
- Invitations sent and Advisory group participants selected
- Advisory group meets, sets meeting cadence, refines outcomes and scope
- Identify screening tools to review and training outcomes
- January: Begin mapping implementation scope including field test requirements
- February: Finalize proposals to present to the Instructional Materials Committee