Student Teachers & Interns
Student Teaching, Practicums & Internships
The Kent School District (KSD) is happy to partner with colleges and universities to place students in our schools for observations, student teaching, practicums, and internships.
- Student teachers
- Education interns
- Counseling interns
- Special services interns
- Practicum students
In order to be considered for placement in one of our schools, the student’s university or college must contact the KSD Employment Support Team and have required information on file.
- Current university contract/agreement with KSD addendum
- Liability insurance
Students must complete an application packet and submit all required documentation to be considered for placement.
- Request for Placement form
- University overview of level of program being request (may be sent via email)
- Student’s resume or biography
- Disclosure Statement form (must be completed and submitted by the student)
- Proof of current fingerprints
The State of Washington requires everyone who has contact with students in a school setting to be fingerprinted prior to starting their assignments. Individuals will not be allowed into the classroom without proof of current fingerprints.
- Students completing observations need to apply through Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS)
- Students should never be left unsupervised when completing observations
- Observation hours have no evaluation requirement for the student.
- Fall (August-December): June 1
- Winter (January-March): November 1
- Spring (April-June): February 1
Depending on the student’s program, KSD Human Resources, principals, Inclusive Education directors, and ESA leads will work together to determine student placement based on the following criteria:
- Availability of qualified staff/teacher(s) in requested areas
- School willingness to take a student
- Agreement of an individual cooperating teacher following a review of candidate materials and/or meeting
We will make every effort to place students at their requested location or with their requested mentor/principal. If the request cannot be met, we will forward the request to all remaining schools accepting student teachers in the subject/level.