College Bound Scholarship
Update for the Class of 2024
Posted June 2, 2020: The College Bound Scholarship application deadline has been extended from June 30 to November 20, 2020, for current eighth-grade students.
Some students will receive an application in the mail from the Washington Student Achievement Council during the month of June. If you receive an application, please complete, sign, and mail it back using the provided self-addressed stamped envelope before November 20, 2020.
Commit to College in Middle School
The College Bound Scholarship is a state-funded program administered by the Washington Student Achievement Council. It is an early commitment of state financial aid to eligible students who sign up in middle school and fulfill the College Bound pledge.
The College Bound Pledge
College Bound applicants promise to:
- Graduate from a Washington State high school or home school with a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher.
- Have no felony convictions.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WAFSA) as soon after October 1 as possible during senior year of high school.
Financial Aid for Eligible Washington Schools
College Bound combines with other state financial aid to cover average tuition (at public college rates), some fees, and a small book allowance at more than 60 eligible schools in Washington including:
- Public two-year colleges
- Public four-year colleges
- Private two-year colleges
- Private four-year colleges
- Technical colleges
- Private career schools
Seventh or eighth-grade students are eligible for the College Bound Scholarship if they meet one of the following requirements:
- The student’s family meets the income requirements; or
- The student is in foster care or a dependent of the state; or
- The student’s family receives basic food or TANF benefits.
Eligible seventh and eighth-grade students may apply for the College Bound Scholarship online by June 30 at the end of their eighth-grade year.
Extended Deadline for the Class of 2024
The College Bound Scholarship application deadline has been extended from June 30 to November 20, 2020, for students completing their eighth-grade year in 2019-2020.
Students who complete the College Bound application and receive a certificate will continue to receive reminders of important information and updates from program staff.
High school students and their families may sign-up for the College Bound listserv to receive short and informative messages. Reading these emails is the best way to stay on-track to receive the scholarship.
Receive the College Scholarship
To receive their scholarship, College Bound students must fulfill the pledge and:
- Apply for the FAFSA or WASFA every year while in college, and be income eligible. Colleges use information from the FAFSA and WASFA to determine income eligibility.
- Be accepted to an eligible college and begin attending within one year of high school graduation.
- Meet program state residency requirements.
- Stay in good standing at college.
College Bound covers up to four years within five years of high school graduation.
For more information about the College Bound program and about other financial aid options in Washington: