Graduation Ceremony Information
Class of 2021 Graduations
We will celebrate our seniors with on-campus in-person graduation ceremonies!
Kent School District's 2021 graduations have been scheduled. Times will be available soon.
- Kent Academy: Thursday, June 17
- The Outreach Program (TOP): Thursday, June 17
- Kentlake High School: Friday, June 18
- Kent-Meridian High School (with iGrad): Friday, June 18
- iGrad (partnered with Kent-Meridian): Friday, June 18
- Kentridge High School: Saturday, June 19
- Kentwood High School: Saturday, June 19
These festive and intimate celebrations will be similar to last year, allowing each school to accommodate the required health and safety guidelines while also providing graduates and families an opportunity to celebrate this important milestone with an in-person ceremony. Graduation photos and videos of the commencement speeches will also be available.
While we did look into larger venues like French Field, under the current Department of Health Guidelines, students would be limited to two (2) tickets per graduate at French Field. Additionally, ShoWare Center is not available this year due to the continued need for a high-volume vaccination site. For several months, our high school and academy principals have been working collectively with student leaders, school staff, and district leaders to develop a plan for graduation that maximizes safety and celebrating our graduates. While we recognize these student-centered graduations are not traditional graduation events, we know this graduation ceremony can be held regardless of the phase we are in and allow the greatest number of family members to attend depending on the phase we are in.
Communication with more specifics about graduation will be sent from your student's high school in the coming weeks. We cannot wait to celebrate the Class of 2021!
Who Can Attend?
- The graduation ceremony at each school will honor candidates for graduation and provide students an opportunity to walk across the stage with up to eight (8) family members watching graduates receive their diploma cover while wearing their cap and gown.
- The school-based student-centered graduation ceremonies help us keep the graduate and their families in no more than two (2) cars per graduate, allowing each school to maximize safety and efficiency while also celebrating this important milestone.
- Photos will be taken for the virtual graduation ceremony. Additionally, professional photos of each graduate will be available for purchase.
- Masks are required for all attendees. However, the graduate will be able to take her/his mask off while on stage for photos.
- If you are sick, have symptoms of COVID-19, or have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19, in alignment with the Department of Health, we ask that you please stay home.
- The public is asked to avoid our high school campus during the ceremony to help ensure we do not violate state and county guidelines for this event.
Tickets & Arrival
- Following state health and safety guidelines, there will be scheduled arrival times at each school.
- Each school will be sending information to seniors with details for scheduling.
- Schools will communicate directly with families about arrival times, traffic directions, and detailed instructions for the event, much like pre-COVID graduation events.
Student & Family Guidance at Graduation Events
To ensure social distancing while honoring our seniors, our families will comply with the following procedures:
- Students and their families will arrive in one or no more than two vehicles at their designated time. Families and students are encouraged to decorate their cars.
- Families will follow the map provided by each school to show where to enter the school grounds and the route to follow.
- Families will drive to a designated area where there will be a stage and a family viewing area.
- Students and families will remain in the vehicle until told to exit.
- When directed, students will proceed to the stage where they will have their names read aloud, and they will pick up a diploma cover from the table and walk across the stage. A professional photographer will be present to take photos.
- Families may exit their vehicle(s) to view their student walking across the stage and take photos. Families must remain in the area designated for this purpose. Families are not to leave this area and must wear masks.
- Students and families will then re-enter the vehicle and proceed either off-campus using the designated route or to a designated photo area for family photos.
- The on-stage event ceremonies will be live-streamed.
- Students will also receive a Commencement Program to remember this important milestone.
- Following the ceremonies, a link to the recordings from each of the graduations will be posted on this page
If you have questions about your student's participation in this event, please contact your school.